Compile mplayer from source in Ubuntu Karmic

Monday, October 19, 2009
I have had some trouble the last little while with mplayer and mencoder in Karmic (beta). I am not sure if it is the result of mixed repositories or not, but I had to find a solution.
I was unable to find a procedure that worked completely. I mixed up what I had read from forums and mplayerhq. I wrote a script to compile mplayer from source and install using "checkinstall".
I have only tested this on my laptop (Karmic 64bit) and my desktop (Karmic 64bit) and they both compiled without any issues.

Here is the script


Just save it to your home directory.
Make it executable with
chmod +x updatemplayer
and execute it by typing
./updatemplayer
Enjoy!!




1 comments:

Max Thrun said...

Thanks a lot for this script it was extremely helpful